Andrew Reynolds graduated from La Trobe University with First Class Honours for his master’s thesis: ‘All at sea: in search of Australia’s maritime strategy.’ Andrew’s thesis analysed Australian maritime strategy through an examination of Australian defence and foreign policy, utilising the future submarine project (SEA1000) as a case study.
Andrew is an international relations analyst, defence analyst and strategic thinker, specialising in international security issues in the Indo-Pacific region.
Andrew is a researcher on the Asia-Pacific desk for Wikistrat, has been an Associate Features editor for E-International Relations and has been published in The Huffington Post. Andrew has worked as an academic researcher at La Trobe University, where he provided quantitative and qualitative research support for a project examining Timor Leste’s foreign policy.
Andrew has extensive work experience and research interests in Australian foreign and defence policy and is seeking a role in research, analysis, strategic communications or strategic thinking.
Andrew has also undertaken undergraduate study in international relations and languages (Bahasa Indonesia).
Andrew’s research interests include:
- Australia-Indonesian relations.
- Australian foreign and defence policy.
- Asia-Pacific defence and security.
- United States-Australia defence relations.
- Implications of a rising China for Asia-Pacific regional defence and security.
- Security implications of the China-Australia Free Trade Agreement (ChAFTA).
- China-Vietnam-United States trilateral relations.
- Political economy of the Asia-Pacific.
- Copenhagen school of securitisation theory.
- Human trafficking and slavery.
- Globalisation theory.
- International development: the recovery process and the influence of informal institutions of power.
Qualifications: MIR (Research studies), B.App.Sci. Dip. Ed.
Posts by Andrew Reynolds
More US Airpower In Australia No Bombshell Given China Crisis, 10 March 2016, The Huffington Post Australia
South China Sea: Fiery Cross Reef a Signpost to Chinese Security Policy, 4 December, 2014
China-Australia FTA: What are the security implications for Australia? 24 November, 2014
The Analyst Returns, 23 November 2014
MH-17 Responses, 19 July 2014
Dangerous Allies (book review), 3 July 2014
Should Australia Join a US Led Intervention in Iraq? , 18 June 2014
Indo-Australian Security Alliance Challenges , 17 June 2014
China’s Oil Rig Diplomacy, 15 June 2014
The China Choice (book review), 12 June 2014
Welcome , 30 May 2014
Papers by Andrew Reynolds: